1. Each night your child will have two different components of homework. One will be their nightly reading log. Each night students will bring a home a self selected book from their book drawer. (If they are coming home with the same book it is because they aren’t trading it out or remembering which ones they read. This is their responsibility.) Have them read this book at least 2 times to help with fluency and complete an oral RETELL once they are done to help with comprehension and to make sure they understand the story. Please fill out their reading log and initial it so I know that it is done. Also, please fill in whether it was a just right book, too easy, or too challenging.
2. I expect students to read EVERY night. Reading is the single most important way to help support your child this year. Your child will return the reading log every day. I will sign it; then he or she will bring it back home that evening. On Friday I will send a book home with students and they can bring it back on Monday for me to sign just like normal, and so on.
3. The second component to first grade homework is phonics and word work practice. Look for a practice page to come home each night from Monday through Thursday. These pages reinforce what we are learning in our phonics and work work time for the week. Kids leave their completed pages in their homework folders all week and leave the folders at school on Friday so that I can look over the week's homework.
4. I will be keeping track of students turning their homework in and whether or not it was on time. It is important that we help instill strong student responsibility at a young age.
5. Communication is extremely important. Please feel free to call or email me with concerns or questions any time you need.
503-762-6100 X 4034